On January 28, 2018, the world witnessed the first ever women’s Royal Rumble. Asuka had just eliminated Nikki Bella and snatched the title after a 30-woman match when Joan Jett’s Bad Reputation blasted through the arena, gathering the attention of millions watching from around the world.
It was that moment Olympic medallist and former UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey took to the ring and announced she was joining WWE.
This week you can catch the entire event (and more) as Royal Rumble 2018 slams onto JB Hi-Fi shelves. While you wait – here are a few things you might not know about one of the most dominating athletes on the planet, Ronda Rousey.
1. The leather jacket she wore for her debut once belonged to former wrestling legend ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper who passed away in 2015.
2. She is a massive Dragon Ball fan and has a ‘cartoon crush’ on Vegeta.
3. There’s a porn star called “Ronda ArouseMe” – the real Rousey doesn’t care about the take-off.
4. Her mum was a world champion in Judo back in the day. AnnMaria De Mars was also Ronda’s coach and used to armbar her daughter while she was sleeping to improve her reaction time.
5. Ronda Rousey won her amateur MMA debut in just 23 seconds.
6. She’s a serious gamer and dominates at World of Warcraft… she’s also bought and beaten every version of Pokémon game that’s been released.
7. She was UFC’s first female fighter and the first American Woman to get an Olympic Medal in Judo… as well as the first female to appear on Men’s Fitness Magazine.
8. She is total inspirational badass (but you already knew that).