Known for his silver tongue, Winston Churchill delivered some scathing retorts and observations during his lifetime.
• On his successor, Clement Attlee: “A sheep in sheep’s clothing.”
• Lady Nancy Astor: “Winston, if you were my husband, I’d poison your tea.”
Churchill: “Nancy, if I were your husband, I’d drink it.”
• “All dogs look up at you; all cats look down at you. Only the pig can look at you as an equal.”
• “A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has had a chance to get its pants on.”
• “In the course of my life I have often had to eat my words, and I confess that I have always found it a wholesome diet.”
• Whilst on the toilet, somebody shouted through the door that Lord Privy Seal had a message for him. Churchill replied, “Tell Lord Privy Seal that I’m sealed to the privy, and I can only deal with one sh-t at a time.”
Darkest Hour is out on April 18.