Here are five handy tips that we always try to stick to when we’re buying up tech.
1. Draw up a list of exactly what you need and, like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, don’t deviate from the pathway.
2. Research, research, research. Make sure what you’re buying will do the job it needs to do.
3. “You can’t always get what you want, but if you try some time, you just might find, you get what you need,” sang Mick Jagger in 1969. Take a leaf out of Mick’s book and plan for an alternative in case you can’t get the model you want.
4. Set a budget for each item on said list and, importantly, despite the ever present temptation to up it, stick to it like dog hair on a couch.
5. Marketing is designed to fire those desire receptors in your brain, so it requires Jedi-strength willpower to resist. Always buy what you really need and not what you really want.