As 2018 gets teensier and teensier in our rear view mirrors, here’s a look at the singles and albums that sold the most in Australia.
The biggest song of the year accolade went to 5 Seconds of Summer for their Youngblood, which sat for eight consecutive weeks atop the chart in 2018. This is the first time that a local act has achieved the overall end of year number one since The Prayer by Anthony Callea back in 2005.
Said 5SOS of the accolade, “We’ve always said to be recognised in our home country is more special than anything. To have the number one song of 2018 is a very proud moment for this band. Thank you to everyone who has supported us and thank you Australia!”
Another Aussie sort of took the album crown, with the soundtrack to the Hugh Jackman-starring The Greatest Show on Earth receiving the honour. It spent the entire year hanging around the charts, including nine weeks in the top 10. It was one of three soundtracks to make the end of year top 10, just like last year with Moana, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Trolls.
Meanwhile, Amy Shark had the highest selling album by an artist with Love Monster. Yay Amy!
Here are the top 10s. For the full charts, pop along to ARIA here.
Top 10 singles of 2018
1. 5 Seconds of Summer – Youngblood
2. Drake – God’s Plan
3. Ed Sheeran – Perfect
4. Dean Lewis – Be Alright
5. Bebe Rexha & Florida Georgia Line – Meant to Be
6. Post Malone – I Fall Apart
7. Post Malone feat. Ty Dolla $ign – Psycho
8. Maroon 5 feat. Cardi B – Girls Like You
9. George Ezra – Shotgun
10. Benny Blanco feat. Halsey & Khalid – Eastside
Top 10 albums of 2018
1. Soundtrack – The Greatest Showman
2. Ed Sheeran – ÷
3. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper – A Star Is Born
4. Post Malone – Beerbongs & Bentleys
5. Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody (The Original Soundtrack)
6. Eminem – Kamikaze
7. Drake – Scorpion
8. Queen – Greatest Hits
9. P!nk – Beautiful Trauma
10. Ed Sheeran – X